Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Beauty, Sighs, and Love


On Beauty by Zadie Smith

This book grabbed me immediately, and when I wasn't reading it, I'd get flashes of thoughts like, "I wonder what will happen next?" This is the story of two families, one in London, one in New England. Both fathers are academics, and bitter rivals. I thought the family dynamics in this book-- husbands & wives, parents & children, siblings-- were rendered beautifully. There were some great twists, and Smith has an obvious talent for flawless prose.



Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo

Richard Russo is one of my favorite authors. I have been enthralled by each and every one of his novels up 'til now (favorites: Empire Falls and Risk Pool ) so I had been hotly anticipating his new book. It's not that I hated it; it's just that it never really pulled me in the way his other books have. Russo has an uncanny ability to capture the intricacies of small towns and the folks who inhabit them. There's some of that in this book,some of his breathtaking description and glorious wit, but there's not enough. The book just never came together for me. So, I beg of you: please read one of his five other novels before you read this one.


What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt

I had this on my 'to read' list for awhile, but I can't recall where I got the recommendation. I had no idea what to expect, but I was captivated by this book. It's the story of a painter named Bill Weschler, an art historian named Leo Hirshberg, and their lives and families. I liked the art angle, though sometimes I got a little bogged down in the descriptions. There were some twists in this book that I never expected, and I think that was my most favorite thing about it. It's a very rich book, full of description and action and intensity. I definitely recommend it.

No comments: