Tuesday, February 16, 2010

2009 Favorites

The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L. Carter

Published in 2002, this is the story of Talcott Garland, an African-American law professor who teaches at an Ivy League university. His father has just died, leaving behind a cryptic note. This is a beautifully layered legal thriller with great twists and turns.






Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon


I was a fan of Chaon’s previous novel You Remind Me of Me and his short story collection Among the Missing, but this book still surpassed my expectations. There are several narrators, intricate twists and turns, and the theme of identity theft is woven into the search for self.





Moonlight in Odessa by Janet Charles

I think I read this because Kirkus gave it a starred review, and wow was I glad that I did. Daria lives in Odessa, Ukraine and has a part time job at Soviet Unions, a dating service that matches up American men and Ukrainian women. She’s a compelling main character, and this is a fantastic debut novel.





The Good Soldiers by David Finkel

This is a nonfiction account of the 15 month Iraq deployment of the 2-16 Infantry Battalion, led by Colonel Ralph Kauzlarich. It is gritty, often heart rending, and I could only read it in short spurts because it was so intense. I found it to be an important and honest look at a group of soldiers, and the larger issues surrounding the war in Iraq.





Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold

This is a fictionalized rendition of the life of magician Charles Carter and it is a sweeping, sparkling, wonderful book. It reminded me a bit of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay because it’s intricate and beautifully written, and I did not want it to end.






Lit by Mary Karr

This memoir follows Karr’s first book The Liars Club and its sequel Cherry and I was a little worried that a third book might be overdoing it. I was wrong! This book details Karr’s marriage and complex relationships with alcohol and religion. She is a poet and her turns of phrase are stunning.






A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore

Moore’s long awaited novel is narrated by Tassie Keltjin, a college student in a Midwestern town struggling to find her way in the world. There’s a subplot that I was a little iffy on, but I still loved the book overall. Moore’s writing is so strong and unique.






The Night Gardener by George Pelecanos

Three detectives come together to solve a case when a killer strikes again after 20 years. Pelecanos’ books are often dark but I’m drawn to them because he’s got an amazing talent for creating characters and atmosphere.








Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

This is Verghese’s first foray into fiction after publishing two memoirs. It’s a sweeping, magnificent story of Shiva and Marion, the twin sons of Sister Mary Joseph Praise, who died during childbirth. The action moves from Ethiopia to New York and back again, and it’s riveting.



No comments: